Grumpy Bastards

If you don't like it, you know what you can do...
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:18 pm 

I've been trying to be a bit more creative instead of just playing games all the time, so last weekend I signed up for the free trial of 3D modelling program ZBrush. You start off with a ball of virtual clay...

...and try to sculpt it into something less grey and round. So naturally, the first thing I sculpted was a Grumpy Bastard :lol: :lol: :lol:

Every shape, fold, wrinkle, and pore was lovingly (laughingly) hand-crafted. There's a ton of stuff wrong with it but I had to start somewhere :oops:

Click for full size versions. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:54 pm 

That's really good for a first attempt. Roughly how long did it take you to get used to the ZBrush and knock that up?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:09 pm 

Thanks!

How long? It's hard to put a number on it. At the start of this month I downloaded Sculptris, a freeware app from the makers of ZBrush. Sculptris is very bared-boned compared to ZBrush but it's pretty amazing in its own right and I had a blast learning how to use it. That first week, I made this (still unfinished) piece...

I didn't keep track of the time I spent in Sculptris, but I'd guess it was maybe about 20 hours from first exposure to the model above, give or take a couple of hours.

ZBrush works and feels a bit different to Sculptris, but almost everything I learned translated directly across. I spent my first couple of sessions in ZBrush just exploring some of the extra features and getting used to the differences. That was probably another 4 hours. Then sculpting and painting (and repeatedly repainting) the grumpy bastard was probably about 12-14 hours worth.

For every hour I spent in-app, I probably spent nearly as much watching how-to videos :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:18 pm 

Had you rewatched Pan's Labyrinth shortly before you started playing about with Sculptris?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:48 am 

Haha no, but I did rummage through my movie collection for inspiration :mrgreen: